/75. anniversary of the Białystok Ghetto Uprising and liquidation of the ghetto
02.05.2018 (Monday), godz. 5 PM
corner of Malmeda and Białówny Streets, corner of Jurowiecka and Sienkiewicza Street
(Attention! The celebrations start simultaneously at both places)
The liquidation of the Białystok Ghetto is associated by the most of us with the date of August 16th, 1943 and brutal suppression of the uprising within it. This was undoubtedly the most bloody and the most intense campaign that took place in the ghetto, but the first steps to liquidate it had began six months earlier.
As a result of the contract concluded by the German occupation authorities with the Judenrat (the Jewish council in the ghetto created by the Germans), 6300 Jews were to be deported to the extermination camps, first of all the unemployed, poor and refugees from other towns.
On February 5th, 1943, at 4:00, the units of the gendarmerie, the Gestapo, and the Jewish police began to search the ghetto area, capturing the people selected for deportation. About one thousand people were shot on the site in about a week, and another 12,000 were taken to the extermination camp in Treblinka.
Program of celebrations and artistic events commemorating the victims of the “February action”:
- 17:00 – starting with klezmer music (Krzysztof Pilat, Mirosław Jaroszuk)
- 17:15 – recitation of the excerpts from "The Story of the So-Called February Action" (Dariusz Szada-Borzyszkowski, Jacek Dojlidko)
- 17:30 – march to the Monument of Heroes of the Ghetto Uprising at Żabia Street
- 17:50 – reading of the excerpts from "Dawid Szpiro's Diary” (Dariusz Szada–Borzyszkowski) and names from the list of victims of the February action, lighting candles commemorating the murdered
- 18:00 – laying flowers by the Białystok City Mayor Tadeusz Truskolaski at the Monument to the Heroes of the Ghetto Uprising